Tuesday, January 22, 2008

OLPC XO Laptop


I was catching up on my RSS feeds via Netvibes (though I'm going to be installing NetDaemon to try that soon) and visiting five particular sites this morning to announce their position as options for the featured Blog of the month at ISTE Island in Second Life (if you understand none of the above just keep reading and ignore it all :)), and I was enjoying Lucie DeLaBruere's post at the Infinite Thinking Machine blog, about the One Laptop per Child OX Laptop and its implications for education--beyond the obvious globe-flattening ones. I had to post a comment, in which you can read that there are four of these in our school, currently being "taken around the block" by our USN tech team.

What each of us will do with the results of our explorations of this revolutionary little device remains to be seen. I for one plan to ponder some kind of Web 2.0 research project about the program and the laptop: The altruistic motivations behind its creation and distribution hold too ripe a set of discussion opportunities to allow it to go unused for that. I'd appreciate any other comments here about what you think about OLPC. Meanwhile, here's my response to Chris's post...

Hey Lucie,

My tech director bought one for each of our three division's tech coordinators, and I'm carrying mine around. I think a few things--one that it's an amazing conversation starter, bright green and so ultimately geeky--in that way it's a viral messaging device for word about OLPC and the revolutionary altruistic motivations behind its creation. I also think that it's going to drive innovation and "digital divide" leveling even in this country--we already see Asus and Apple and Intel who knows who all else bringing out lower cost, lean-operating-system and hardware mobile devices: Once bugs are out of these you'll see schools adopting them without the deal-breaker fiscal objections that come with current laptop programs. Finally (or not), you're right--anyone who gets that they're for children will understand that this program will be groundchanging. Just google "OLPC" and "Peru" and read the post there--'nuff said about that.

My 12 year old found more functionality and excitement in 30 minutes than I have in the two plus hours I've had so far to play with it. It's like a bright green easter egg for a child with an exploring mind and unspoiled preconceptions!

Cheers, and send your readers who may be in Second Life to the Bogger's Hut on ISTE Island--ITM is one of five nominees for the RSS feed feature for February there. Voting is over at, oh, noon on the last day of January!

Cheerio! And thanks for such consistently great shareshare!

No comments: