Thursday, April 17, 2008

Here Comes Everybody--A Worthwhile Read!

Hey, ya'll,

I've been almost too busy to post this week, and I'm sure that since many of you are teachers you know exactly what I'm talkin' about.

I just want to share out that Clay Shirky's Here Comes Everybody, the Power of Organizing Without Organizations is shaping up, as I get further into it, as a stellar addition to my own arsenal for helping me understand the ongoing growth of the Read/Write Web.

Building his case that Web 2.0 tools are increasingly making things happen that previously would have just not happened, due to the cost of their management, he suggests that new spontaneous collections of information now do exist "because people have always desired to share, and the obstacles that prevented sharing on a global scale are now gone." That may not be altogether true, if we consider turning a blind eye to online collaboration an obstacle, but it's a nice set-up for his arguments, which are already compelling. I'm pretty sure that I have already read his basic tenet, which is summarized early on in the following sentences:

Our electronic networks are enabling novel forms of collective action, enabling the creation of collaborative groups that are larger and more distributed than at any other time in history. The scope of work that can be done by noninstitutional groups is a profound challenge to the status quo.

While not beach reading, save for the most dedicated followers of current techno-history, I highly recommend it to any teacher, or to anyone looking to make sense of all this Web 2.0 stuff. Thanks to my tweets on Twitter for sharing!

No comments: