Skip to main content

Redeux--My Talented Kids

Hola, friends,

Proud dad here, sharing mainly for family but also for anyone who wants to listen or view. The end of the school year is of course bringing all kinds of opportunities to celebrate our children. My lovely daughter, Miranda, received her school's annual Vocal Performance award in a school assembly this past week, and she sang at Convocation evening a beautiful song called "The Wish," from an anonymous poem, and accompanied by her much loved choral teacher, Ms. Judy Yeaworth. Of course, did I record it? Nope.

I did, however, have my digital camera with me today at Christ Church Cathedral's Youth Day celebration service, and I flipped it to video mode and set it down in the pew while she sang the same song, solo, this time accompanied by Michael Velting, the Cathedral's stellar organist and Choral Director. It's an odd recording in the sense that her solo picks up just as the first few rows of the large congregation are shuffling out to communion, and that gets louder as other rows follow. There are coughs, sneezes, and such as you'd hear in any big group of people; but somehow they just make the central lyrical performance that much more beautiful. I'll add the lovely lyrics as soon as I get them.

Enjoy, "The Wish," sung by Miranda Merrick, Sunday morning, May 18, 2008.

And far be it from me to spare my son from the spotlight, a location I feel he'll frequent often and long. Take a look at the wonderful year-end recital put on by Ma. Murphree's Creative Movement class. Colin's the last boy entering.

I'll doubtless brag more later :)

Comments

Paul R. Wood said…
You have every right to be proud. Wonderful voice Miranda. Thanks for sharing the people noise did not detract. I look forward to hearing more some time soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Periscoping a Fall Walk across Nashville's Pedestrian Bridge

On my final day of Fall Break, which I spent mostly knocking out home-focused honey-do items (though I did get to Marrowbone Lake for one morning of fishing), I decided to take a walk over the John L. Seigenthaler Memorial Bridge. I had never done it before! My goal was to take a 360 panorama for my little side project, Nashville360VR, which has been suffering lately from my dedication to my new job at Warner Enhanced Elementary School. I did that, and on a whim I Periscoped it. Here's the video of that which I saved locally. Folks popped in and out--I don't think I had more than 20 or so concurrent viewers, but all in all I received 251 peeks over the 13 or so minutes or so of the 'cast. You won't see chat or comments (or hearts :), but you can view the video. Here:

Thanks to 'scopers for dropping in. And thanks to the powers-that-be for such a gorgeous Friday afternoon!

Here are a couple normal "pano" shots I took on my iPhone:



That is all. Oh...

If yo…

THE BEST ISTE EVER: Day 4 Reflections

I'll get a start on it. Day 4 was the bomb. Here's the "moneyshot" again  to prove it:

Tuesday morning I actually slept in until 7:30, had a good workout, and dressed smartly for my photo shoot at 11:20. I'd been asked by ISTE to be a poser and you know me, I couldn't resist. But that did mean I was in slacks and had to haul my blue blazer around all day. That's okay though, I look forward to recognizing myself in some upcoming issue of Learning and Leading with Technology. If you check out last month's issue you'll see Andy Wheelock's personable self gracing the inside front cover--like that. You should also catch Andy's article from the May L&LT: http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/201205?pg=5#pg28

I actually had a sit  down breakfast at the Hilton's Riverwalk restaurant, and the breakfast wrap was good but I never had a coffee refill and no one actually checked in with me at any time. I had to flag down a …

The Dreamers Exhibit in Second Life

Wow. I had a fantastic hour early this morning while my lovely was sleeping and the canine brutes were resting in front of the fireplace. Lured by the login page's description, I tp'd over to the site, which promised a celebration of peace in the face of violence. 
The description of the project begins:
Because violence will not take away our ability to dream!
When we were just beginning to create this project, the events of Charlottesville happened. Our hearts stopped. We cannot do this - we thought - we must alert to the political situation we live in! The danger of tyranny. The danger of environmental disaster. The danger of xenophobia, sexism, homophobia. The danger of hate! But then we stopped.From within us came this beach, this horizon. This sea, this lake, these white clouds grew. No! We will not give up on The Dreamers. We will not give up on beauty. They will not steal the beauty of the world. They will not steal tenderness. They will not steal the life we have left.A…