Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ow

I called my brother-in-law, Jim, last night to whine about how I'm laid low with a nasty cold, and he told me how his day had gone.

"This'll make you feel better about yours," he said.

He was running in his neighborhood and had just about finished his two-mile or so run, when he inhaled and something flew up his nose. It was a yellowjacket.

Ow.

The thing started stinging him "on the fleshy part of the inside of the nostril" and he stopped, uttering a few ill-considered curse words, and started digging inside his nostril with his finger. It came out in pieces, and luckily, he got the stinger out. But, he said, "about half hour later I blew my nose and out came the thing's head."

Ewww.

Now, he informed me, he was looking at himself in a mirror, his lip swollen horribly and the side of his face looking like someone had hit him with a baseball bat.

Ow.

I feel better (yellowjacket image from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket, republished here under the conditions allowed by the Wikimedia Commons).

No comments: