Saturday, March 27, 2010

Arbor Day in West Meade

I'll be planting a tree today.

A Nashville businessman, Chris Clark, is distributing around 100,000 tiny saplings to Tennesseans this week, and my neighbor Kip Kirby organize the neighborhood distribution to make sure our West Meade neighborhood got some of the greenery.

From Clark's company website, the stated intention is "to honor SC&A founder Steve Clark who passed away six years ago on the first day of Spring. He believed the simplicity of planting a tree can foster a broader sense of eco-awareness and translate into more public participation in protecting our planet. SC&A’s goal is to generate a grassroots effort of volunteers, children, public and private developments, universities, etc. throughout the state who will join our grand effort of planting 100,000 new trees in Tennessee."

I'll be planting my baby oak tree in my front yard, and for me it's going in the ground in honor of my mother and my father, separated in life by divorce for decades but connected in death by their passing in the same season, years apart, in early April. May it grow in good health to provide summer shade for whomever lives in our little ranch house a hundred years from now.

I'll pop in pics of the process.

Happy weekend!

No comments: