Tuesday, January 25, 2011

There Was a Man

I was asked by Bill's dear wife Judy to play guitar at the service today. I'm going to try to play some instrumentals from my collection recently released at CDBaby.com and I did some revision to the song below, mostly because I don't remember all of it, which I wrote just after our Poppy died. He passed away in his easy chair with an ice cream cone in his hand. I'm going to attempt to sing it today but since I don't hold out much hope that I'll be able to get through it, I printed some lyrics at the hotel business office. Here's the song. I cannot thank all my friends and "friends" who have supported me with loving messages this week. It's been hard, but your caring makes it, well, different.

Love to you all, and here's my advice:

There Was a Man
Scott Merrick, revised January 25, 2011

Once had a granddad
Now I have none;
There was a man
If there ever was one.
Stands where he stood
at the top of a hill;
in the Tennessee woods
of my memory still.
Never heard a bad word
spoken of him;
The last time we spoke
he was broken and thin.
I took him by the hand
I said I love you;
He said I hope you understand
That I love you too.

Stands where he stood
at the top of a hill;
Never really knew him
Suppose I never will.

If you have a granddad
Listen to me:
What may be now
May not always be;
Tell him that you love him
Look him in the eye:
Your love is the one thing
that never does die.

Once had a granddad
Now I have none;
There was a man
If there ever was one.

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

Beautiful, Scotty. We can't hold back, man, we're here such a short time - we have to let each other know. Hold the ones you love close. Much love to you, brother.