Skip to main content

Busy October!


 Just touching base on a few presentations I'll be doing in October. It's going to be a busy month. First, for ISTE's SIGOL, I'll be facilitating and hosting  a 59 minute session as the opening event for the bi-monthly SIGOL Webinar series "Priceless ProfDev in Less than and Hour!" I'm really looking forward to this one and I hope you can join us, as Cat Flippen (who can resist a smile at that name?) shares some great successes she's had using online tools in her high school classrooms. This one will be of great interest to all of us working in online learning environments as well as to anyone in any classroom with an internet connection, anywhere! Here's the brief description, and I'll add more details as we get closer to the event itself:
Wed., Oct. 173 pm EasternCatherine FlippenOnline Assessments, Data Collection and You -- How to assess, reinforce, and collect data without using paper to improve student success in the classroom.ll


Then, during Artclectic weekend (am I crazy?) I will take an hour out of those events to share our own ISTE SIGVE successes at ISTE 2012 in San Diego last June with attendees at Singapore's MobiLearnAsia conference. The theme is our Virtual Environments Playground's house of digital mirrors and just how we set that up so that attendees all over the planet could take part in the San Diego presentations in Second Life and on Ustream.tv. I'll be Skyped in for that one and I am hoping for a good crowd. We don't have a time yet--I may be up in the middle of the night! It's sometime during the day on Saturday, October 26 though. Stay tuned. And see the website for info about the conference.

Finally, on October 30, I've been asked to share the successes and challenges we've enjoyed and met in the development of MNPS Virtual School, the first public virtual school in the state of Tennessee and a growing viable option for students across the state. That's for the stellar organization Ed Tech Leaders Online, hosts of the annual Online Learning Institute attached to ISTE's annual conference. The session will be at 3:00pm Central time and is free. Watch their "Keys to Online Learning and Community-Building" webinar series page for details of that as we get closer.

That's it for now, as I head down to Orlando, Florida tomorrow for Pearson Learning's two day Executive Forum with two of my colleagues from Virtual School. Never boring, I must say!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Periscoping a Fall Walk across Nashville's Pedestrian Bridge

On my final day of Fall Break, which I spent mostly knocking out home-focused honey-do items (though I did get to Marrowbone Lake for one morning of fishing), I decided to take a walk over the John L. Seigenthaler Memorial Bridge. I had never done it before! My goal was to take a 360 panorama for my little side project, Nashville360VR, which has been suffering lately from my dedication to my new job at Warner Enhanced Elementary School. I did that, and on a whim I Periscoped it. Here's the video of that which I saved locally. Folks popped in and out--I don't think I had more than 20 or so concurrent viewers, but all in all I received 251 peeks over the 13 or so minutes or so of the 'cast. You won't see chat or comments (or hearts :), but you can view the video. Here:

Thanks to 'scopers for dropping in. And thanks to the powers-that-be for such a gorgeous Friday afternoon!

Here are a couple normal "pano" shots I took on my iPhone:



That is all. Oh...

If yo…

THE BEST ISTE EVER: Day 4 Reflections

I'll get a start on it. Day 4 was the bomb. Here's the "moneyshot" again  to prove it:

Tuesday morning I actually slept in until 7:30, had a good workout, and dressed smartly for my photo shoot at 11:20. I'd been asked by ISTE to be a poser and you know me, I couldn't resist. But that did mean I was in slacks and had to haul my blue blazer around all day. That's okay though, I look forward to recognizing myself in some upcoming issue of Learning and Leading with Technology. If you check out last month's issue you'll see Andy Wheelock's personable self gracing the inside front cover--like that. You should also catch Andy's article from the May L&LT: http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/201205?pg=5#pg28

I actually had a sit  down breakfast at the Hilton's Riverwalk restaurant, and the breakfast wrap was good but I never had a coffee refill and no one actually checked in with me at any time. I had to flag down a …

Nations Homes Video

...and, by way of overcompensation for my recent radio silence from scottmerrickdotnet, here's a little video composed of photos take from New Years Day 2016 up to June1. Enjoy: