Friday, November 30, 2012

Friday, writing and working out, sort of

I can't believe it's Friday again and I'm once again at Level P9 and tomorrow? December. It's 6:30 a.m. Colin's been out the door for 20 minutes, the pup has been up and is back in his crate upstairs, and I'm pumping my way to nowhere again, synced into the 9th of 10 different pre-programmed configurations (levels) of my magnetic-recumbent bike, typing on my Dell XPS which is resting into a custom-built rack spanning across said bike's handlebars.

P9 is not my favorite. It's straight-graduated light to hard, then over again. There are 10 one-minute sections in each level's configuration. sometimes alternating light and heavy, easy and hard if you will, as if one is biking up a hill and down a hill, up a hill and down a hill. Once the 10 minutes are up the pattern repeats. P9 is like starting out on the level and climbing the roads up to Kerry Park Overlook in Seattle, gradually increasing straight on up. Sometimes I do 30 minutes or so, just enough to log some burnt calories, and on weekends I've been known to do as much as 75 minutes. However long I "workout," I log particulars in a Google form I keep online for motivation. I've got its results set up in the spreadsheet, and as of the next moment, when I will check it (mind you I'm adding to this as we write), 6569:11:00 minutes, 1607.18 miles, and burned 59097.26 calories.

According to my approximating math, that's just short of 109 hours, or a little over four 24 hour days on the bike.

 Let's have some fun with this. 4 days of my life on a bike since March? I guess that's fair, since at my last physical I had lost 9 pounds since the physical the previous year. Of course that revelation caused me to celebrate by taking it easier on myself and I put a few of those back on, but I'm snapping out of that lately. I hope by next full physical, come May or so of 2013, to have improved a little on that number. Where could I have biked in that amount of time, achieving that number of miles? Go go gadget Google...

Eureka, www.mapsofworld.com has a neat little tool whereby one can calculate distances to other cities from a location. In this case, let's make it Nashville, Tennessee. Well, I couldn't have made it to Boise, or Las Vegas, or LA, apparently, but just look at all the places I could have made my destination in that 4 days of non-stop biking:
Yes, I do suspect those are air miles, but let's not quibble here. We're fantasizing. 

What about the calories? http://www.cookingnook.com/calorie-calculator.html wasn't really any help, though it's a fun way to project weight loss goals in hard and fast calorie counts. According to my results there, if I want to lose 13 more pounds over 90 days (my first entry of 30 days resulted in an "unsafe" warning), I need to maintain my moderate exercise routine and lower my caloric intake by around 500 calories per day (or burn those in addition to my moderate exercise).

At http://caloriecount.com, I received the following information, interestingly parsed out to what? About 90 days again:
You should consume about 1,746 calories a day to reach your goal weight . This is at a reasonable weight loss average of 1 lbs per week, which should be reached by March 01, 2013.

Experts recommend weight loss at the rate of 0.5-2 lbs/week. Remember that this estimate is based on your body weight, height, age, gender, and activity level. It may vary slightly depending on other factors.

Generally, women should not consume any less than 1,200 calories per day, and men should not consume less than 1,500 
calories per day. 

So anyway, I'm sweating pretty swell now and leaning into my 44th minute this Friday morning. I can't believe it's Friday but I do know I'll feel better about it all day because of this time spent in low-impact exercise. I think I'll take in Johnny's Monday morning "Wake up Yoga" class at The Yoga Room again next week, largely to work on the "critically tight" hamstrings he noted last week, obviously further tightened by my what will be 50 minutes on the bike today. You have a good weekend. That's a wrap, at 51:47, 6.5 mi., and 493 calories. Cool.

No comments: