Skip to main content

ISTE 2013 -- Post1: Anticipation (Free Hugs)

Yes, I am hearing Carly Simon's classic foreplay song in my head. You can listen to it as you read by clicking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibSelIFBR8s .

I've not been blogging so much of late. I hereby play the Work card. We've been so busy all my writing has been in emails of support, help tickets, and communication with our small but mighty team at MNPS Virtual School, related to our Summer Success 2013 program, in which over 200 public school students are earning half credits (or more, if they are dedicated, and many are!) toward catching up or accelerating their education and earning their high school diplomas.
Our Team of 5: Sherry Hill, Scott Merrick, Adrienne McNew, Dr. James Witty, and Michael Terry
 That's the team, above. Sherry's holding down the fort and the rest of us are staying connected via the magic of the internetz, but will be in San Antonio. If you see any of us at any time, say hi!

I'm also working behind the scenes to help make ISTE 2013 the very best ever.

All that said, I hereby pledge to blog every day from now until I finish my fishing expedition to Lake Conroe, and hopefully doing so will get me back into the habit (including the fishing days will give me time to reflect and also to write about things not ISTE). Let's see [opens calendar], they say if you do a task correctly 26 times in a row you can unlearn the wrong habits. Well. That will be only 15 blog posts, but maybe that will suffice in collusion with my immensely good intentions.

To start, I want to share my schedule in San Antonio with you. Many of these scheduled events, done so at http://isteconference.org using the facile "Conference Planner" are in conflict, time-wise, but it's my strategy to get everything I hope to attend in hand on my iPhone, and then to pick and choose in the moment. I'm still working on it and I will update here as I do my revisions. Meanwhile:

 ISTE's Annual Conference & Exposition, June 23-26, 2013 Planner
for Scott Merrick
Note: Free Hugs, come and get 'em (not speaking for my team, but I'm in)!


Saturday, June 22
----------------------------------------------------------------
6:30pm-8:30pm
Core Volunter Social--by invitation
Ballroom Bowie, Grand Hyatt (next to the convention center)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, June 23
----------------------------------------------------------------
9:00am-12:00pm
Epic Leadership: Beyond the Hype of Gamification
Grand Hyatt Texas Ballroom A
NOTES: Registration Received, co-facilitate
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
12:00pm-1:00pm
Making IT Happen Reception
Adjacent to EPIC event
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
12:00pm-6:00pm
Presenter's World Hours
Registration West
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2:00pm-5:00pm
Global Education Summit
SACC 103A
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
3:00pm-5:00pm
SIG Open House -- both SIGOL and SIGVE
SACC Tower View Lobby
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
5:45pm-7:00pm
Learning is an Epic Win
SACC Hall A
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
7:00pm-8:00pm
Opening Social
SACC Tower View Lobby
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
8:30pm-10:30pm
President's Reception--by invitation
Grand Hyatt Texas Ballroom Foyer

----------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, June 24
----------------------------------------------------------------
8:00am-6:00pm
Presenter's World Hours
Registration West
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
8:00am-9:30am
SIGOL Forum: Connect, Collaborate, and Create with a MOOC!
SACC 103A
NOTES: Speaking Engagement, co-facilitate
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
11:00am-12:00pm
SIGOL (Online Learning) Annual Meeting
SACC 102
NOTES: Speaking Engagement, accept VP position
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
11:30am-1:30pm
Volunteer Leadership Lunch--by invitation
San Antonio Conference Center, Lonesome Dove Room
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
12:30pm-4:00pm
Innovation in Teacher Education Playground
co-facilitate, wrangle three SIGOL presentations
SACC Park View Lobby
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
5:30pm-6:45pm
SIGVE Machinima Fest -- bring popcorn for first 30 attendees, livestream
SACC Lila Cockrell Theater
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
7:30pm-8:30pm
FlipSwitch Dinner
Barriba Cantina with 1 guest

----------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, June 25
----------------------------------------------------------------
8:00am-6:00pm
Presenter's World Hours
Registration West
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
9:00am-12:30pm
Mobile Learning Playground
SACC Park View Lobby
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
10:30am-11:30am
Minecraft: Learning Blocks!
SACC 217A
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
12:15pm-1:15pm
Playing It SAFE: Modeling and Practicing Citizenship through Play
SACC 212
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1:30pm-5:00pm
Virtual Environments Playground-- Facilitator with a great deal of tribal collaboration
SACC Park View Lobby
NOTES: Speaking Engagement
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
5:00pm-6:15pm
SIGVE (Virtual Environments) Gathering
SACC Park View Lobby
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
6:30pm-11:30pm
SIG Reception
tba

----------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, June 26
----------------------------------------------------------------
8:00am-3:00pm
Online Learning Instituted -- co-host Roundtable, session 3, with Dr. James Witty
Grand Hyatt Texas Ballroom A
NOTES: Pre-Registration & Fee Required
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
8:00am-2:00pm
Presenter's World Hours
Registration West
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
5:00pm-10:00pm
Pick Up Rental Car and Drive to Lake Conroe
Airport Budget Car Rental

----------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, June 27
----------------------------------------------------------------
6:00am-6:00pm
Fish
Lake Conroe, Texas

----------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, June 28
----------------------------------------------------------------
6:00am-6:00pm
Fish---continues through June 30, then fly home to loving family rested and relaxed
Lake Conroe, Texas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Periscoping a Fall Walk across Nashville's Pedestrian Bridge

On my final day of Fall Break, which I spent mostly knocking out home-focused honey-do items (though I did get to Marrowbone Lake for one morning of fishing), I decided to take a walk over the John L. Seigenthaler Memorial Bridge. I had never done it before! My goal was to take a 360 panorama for my little side project, Nashville360VR, which has been suffering lately from my dedication to my new job at Warner Enhanced Elementary School. I did that, and on a whim I Periscoped it. Here's the video of that which I saved locally. Folks popped in and out--I don't think I had more than 20 or so concurrent viewers, but all in all I received 251 peeks over the 13 or so minutes or so of the 'cast. You won't see chat or comments (or hearts :), but you can view the video. Here:

Thanks to 'scopers for dropping in. And thanks to the powers-that-be for such a gorgeous Friday afternoon!

Here are a couple normal "pano" shots I took on my iPhone:



That is all. Oh...

If yo…

THE BEST ISTE EVER: Day 4 Reflections

I'll get a start on it. Day 4 was the bomb. Here's the "moneyshot" again  to prove it:

Tuesday morning I actually slept in until 7:30, had a good workout, and dressed smartly for my photo shoot at 11:20. I'd been asked by ISTE to be a poser and you know me, I couldn't resist. But that did mean I was in slacks and had to haul my blue blazer around all day. That's okay though, I look forward to recognizing myself in some upcoming issue of Learning and Leading with Technology. If you check out last month's issue you'll see Andy Wheelock's personable self gracing the inside front cover--like that. You should also catch Andy's article from the May L&LT: http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/201205?pg=5#pg28

I actually had a sit  down breakfast at the Hilton's Riverwalk restaurant, and the breakfast wrap was good but I never had a coffee refill and no one actually checked in with me at any time. I had to flag down a …

The Dreamers Exhibit in Second Life

Wow. I had a fantastic hour early this morning while my lovely was sleeping and the canine brutes were resting in front of the fireplace. Lured by the login page's description, I tp'd over to the site, which promised a celebration of peace in the face of violence. 
The description of the project begins:
Because violence will not take away our ability to dream!
When we were just beginning to create this project, the events of Charlottesville happened. Our hearts stopped. We cannot do this - we thought - we must alert to the political situation we live in! The danger of tyranny. The danger of environmental disaster. The danger of xenophobia, sexism, homophobia. The danger of hate! But then we stopped.From within us came this beach, this horizon. This sea, this lake, these white clouds grew. No! We will not give up on The Dreamers. We will not give up on beauty. They will not steal the beauty of the world. They will not steal tenderness. They will not steal the life we have left.A…