Friday, June 21, 2013

ISTE 2013 Post5: ISTE Eve!

I have alarms set all over the house to remind me to be set up on my computer at 2:49 to check in and get a boarding pass for my 2:50 flight tomorrow to San Antonio, Texas. I have it on good authority that the SIGVE logoed popcorn packages I ordered for the 2013 EduMachinima Festival Monday and the ISTE SIGVE Virtual Environments Playground on Tuesday have shipped to the Windham Riverwalk where I will be checking in around 5:30 or 6 tomorrow, dropping my bags, and heading out to the ISTE Core Volunteer Social. The rest of my schedule has been shared in the previous post, and as you can see it'll be a mile a minute until I arrive in Conroe, Texas Wednesday night to spend a few days with my much loved brother Ed at his lakehouse, fishing and sleeping, fishing and sleeping.

At ISTE, I will not be wearing a "Free Hugs" sign, but it's pretty common knowledge, built over the past decade, that I'm good for one, a full on Tennessee boy hug that's heartfelt to the core. I have been known to hug folks I've not yet met, especially since this is an annual event and most of the people I do know I only see that once a year and mistakes can be made. The universal body language for "I don't want your stinkin' hug" is pretty well known, too, and I respond respectfully to that, though I'll never really understand it :)

   source: http://favim.com/image/59076/

That said, my lovely Lee Ann asked me last night what I was most excited about this year. I responded pretty quickly, "I've never really gone with anyone," meaning I'm excited about traveling with my team from MNPS Virtual School. It'll be strange, having at least some opportunities to hang out with the people I work with, and work closely with, each and every day. I'm also looking forward to seeing them enjoy the wonderland that is the ISTE conference!

I'm going to reshare our group photo so that you can introduce yourself to my colleagues should you see one in your presentation, event, or in the conference halls. Please feel free to do so. These are the most student-dedicated professionals it has ever been my privilege to know, and as you may know, I've met a million of 'em. It's never too soon to add them to your own Professional Learning Network.

See you at ISTE!
Sherry Hill (not going :( ), moi, Adrienne McNew, Dr. James Witty, and Michael Terry, of MNPS Virtual School

No comments: