Sunday, December 08, 2013

It's quiet at the blog. Too quiet.


Up early on an icy winter Sunday morning I realize I've neglected my blogging, perhaps unforgivably. While blogging may now be considered passé by some these days I do still believe in it.

This belief may not be apparent for anyone who took note of the closure of the Bloggers Hut at ISTE SIGVE in Second Life this past July, after five years of monthly updates at Oh!VirtualLearning! and inside the little hobo shack that had been its home since moving to ISTE SIGVE from ISTE Island after its own demise. As explained at the blog post just noted, I am just so busy these days with my virtual school, an online public school in the creation of which I'm so immensely proud to have had a part, that I've yielded much of my advocacy for virtual worlds to other more capable hands.

I do continue to support their efforts when I can, by attending inworld events like the Virtual Education Round Table, by microblogging via Twitter and Facebook, and by attending weekly SIGVE Office Hours and events when I can. But it's a measure of my distance that I completely missed this weekend's Minecraft and More Unsymposium online all day yesterday and the day before. I hope to catch up on its archived glory this week, and I'm thankful for all who did participate, as we seem to see more and more activity in virtual worlds with the advent of Minecraft and the continuing success of the World of Warcraft teacher community. Still, it seems we continue to stand at the upward curve of the adoption cycle eternally looking up at the spike to the apex which we've been predicting for so many years.

I'm just rambling here, but I hope to keep this blog alive and sometimes rambling is just all there is in this complicated world. Why keep it alive? There is so much to celebrate, and as my dear sister-in-law Amy once commented, "Your blog is your masterpiece, your book."

I'm hearing Dylan in the background.

No comments: