Skip to main content

Moving toward ISTE 2015

Just a note to note we're getting into some pretty darned interesting stuff for the Virtual Environments Playground at ISTE 2015 in Philadelphia.

New this year, we're giving up half our playground so that the Games and Simulations Network, a group of friends we care about, can have their own playground. So essentially the two presentation areas and six ongoing presentation tables that constitute an ISTE Playground will be reduced to one of the former and 3 of the latter for each network.
Andy networks whilst Kae presents at ISTE 2012 Virtual Environments Network

We don't mind. We're focused on bringing the best of the best to bear for our ISTE colleagues, all of them. Our Second Life Playground was one of the very first ever at NECC, oh these many years ago, and it's looked rather different every year since morphing into the SIGVE Playground and now the Virtual Environments Playground. The fact that the conference organizers this year did not have space to offer G&S their own full playground attests to the popularity of the format: Open ongoing themed sharing stations for the duration of the event, with one-to-many scheduled more traditional presentations.

So, all that said, here's what we'll look like on Tuesday, June 30, from 2:00pm until we meet for our annual Birds-of-a-Feather meeting at the Pennsylvania Conference Center in downtown Philadelphia:

Virtual Environments Network Playground 
Presentations at ISTE 2015

2:00 - 2:45 -- Islands of Enlightenment in OpenSimulator!
Andy Wheelock & Mary Howard

2:45 - 3:30 -- Dream Realizations: SubQuan Math in Second Life!
R & C Patterson, moderated by Scott Merrick

3:30 - 4:15 -- AW3DU: Quest Atlantis LIVES AGAIN!
Rick Noll, with special guests!

4:15 - 5:00 -- Minecraft Learning: The Best of the Best!
Marianne Malmstrom--aka Knowclue Kidd




5:00 - 5:30 pm VEN Birds of a Feather


How about the ongoing presentation tables? Got that for you, too:

At one table we'll have Laura Briggs sharing Google Cardboard and the Virtual Reality platform "Biome for Kids." At another our stellar Rosie and Bob Vojtek will be sharing their fine work at the hot-off-the-virtual-presses Virtual Education Journal; and at the third (or is it the first?), our Marianne Malmstrom and crew will be sharing the best of the best in Minecraft. All will be network and internet connected for guest appearances and virtual fly-throughs and these folks know their stuff. Come learn from them. Or come teach them: IT'S A DIALOGUE!

One last plug here, and it's for those educators who cannot, for whatever reason, attend in person this year. We're planning to connect as fully as we can in Second Life. Throughout the week, beginning Sunday, June 28, as many of us who are there as can will be sharing on-site happenings in SL, at the ISTE VEN Maker Space. Visit as often as you like, and learn from the immensely sharing, deeply caring, learning opportunities that comprise The Virtual Environments Network at ISTE 2015.

Want to keep up with both Playgrounds and have access to scheduling and presentation details for both in a LIVE document that at any given time will reflect adjustments? Check out the Google Doc that does just that! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Periscoping a Fall Walk across Nashville's Pedestrian Bridge

On my final day of Fall Break, which I spent mostly knocking out home-focused honey-do items (though I did get to Marrowbone Lake for one morning of fishing), I decided to take a walk over the John L. Seigenthaler Memorial Bridge. I had never done it before! My goal was to take a 360 panorama for my little side project, Nashville360VR, which has been suffering lately from my dedication to my new job at Warner Enhanced Elementary School. I did that, and on a whim I Periscoped it. Here's the video of that which I saved locally. Folks popped in and out--I don't think I had more than 20 or so concurrent viewers, but all in all I received 251 peeks over the 13 or so minutes or so of the 'cast. You won't see chat or comments (or hearts :), but you can view the video. Here:

Thanks to 'scopers for dropping in. And thanks to the powers-that-be for such a gorgeous Friday afternoon!

Here are a couple normal "pano" shots I took on my iPhone:



That is all. Oh...

If yo…

THE BEST ISTE EVER: Day 4 Reflections

I'll get a start on it. Day 4 was the bomb. Here's the "moneyshot" again  to prove it:

Tuesday morning I actually slept in until 7:30, had a good workout, and dressed smartly for my photo shoot at 11:20. I'd been asked by ISTE to be a poser and you know me, I couldn't resist. But that did mean I was in slacks and had to haul my blue blazer around all day. That's okay though, I look forward to recognizing myself in some upcoming issue of Learning and Leading with Technology. If you check out last month's issue you'll see Andy Wheelock's personable self gracing the inside front cover--like that. You should also catch Andy's article from the May L&LT: http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/201205?pg=5#pg28

I actually had a sit  down breakfast at the Hilton's Riverwalk restaurant, and the breakfast wrap was good but I never had a coffee refill and no one actually checked in with me at any time. I had to flag down a …

Nations Homes Video

...and, by way of overcompensation for my recent radio silence from scottmerrickdotnet, here's a little video composed of photos take from New Years Day 2016 up to June1. Enjoy: