Tuesday, May 10, 2016

New Horizons for this Olde Educator--"Eliminated"

Well, well, well. Just when I thought I was on track to spend the final few years of my education career making sure that MNPS Virtual School (which I helped create from nothing) has a future worthy of all the planning, design and implementation we have put into it since August, 2010,  it appears that my job position is to be "eliminated" on June 30, 2016.


I'm looking forward to exploring new opportunities in the coming school year, most likely in an elementary classroom for the first time in nearly six years. I have applied for several 10 month teaching positions and I'm hoping to hear soon from the right principal in the right school who has an identified need for an experienced, innovative, and student-centered classroom teacher in grade 3 or 4. Perhaps this is just the world's way of telling me I need to be working more closely, and daily, with young learners--giving them direct and daily support and encouragement, challenging them, and helping them understand how to be both safe and productive in today's and tomorrow's accelerating landslide of information. One thing is  sure--we'll have fun together. That's been my teacher tagline since my first 3rd grade classroom in 1996:


I'm looking forward.

But wait, one slight detour...

"Eliminated?" I didn't know that was even a thing. Wow. Let's see what Google has to say about that word:
Let me say it straight: I find myself feeling baffled, confused, devalued and even disrespected by what has been presented as a necessity "due to budget cuts for the school year 2016-17." But I will not let all that make me bitter. I am too positive for that. I care too much. I have too much to offer to let it bring me down. Forward we go.

After June 30, dear reader, I'm a free agent.

If you know of any interesting opportunities that might be pursued, let me know. I don't want to move from my new home in The Nations Nashville, but I can and will commute for the right work.

Have a great week!
Scott




No comments: