Saturday, September 14, 2024

Freakin' September

 Okay, it's well into September and I haven't posted since July. Why not, you ask, why not?

I have no excuse. I'm retired, I lead a pretty active life for that station in life, and I simply lost interest for a while. There you go.

So what's up?

Well, let's start with the now:  I just entered lyrics from two songs in the American Songwriters Association bi-monthly lyric contest. Songs are "Early" and "Full Tilt Tomorrow. Crossing my fingers, but I figure for 15 bucks a song it will do no harm to get them in front of a panel of successful songwriters. You can hear "Early" at my Samply.app account and Full Tilt Tomorrow at Spotify. It's not the recordings, only the lyrics. Wish me luck. 

In the same vein, I just bought tickets to Amanda Shires Unplugged and Untamed at Exit Inn on October 10. Buzzed, I am. If you are in town at the time, tickets are not too dear and it will be an amazing show. Join me if you can.

On another tack, I have Covid. Weird, I got my antivirus update on Friday, and came down Tuesday (the vaccination takes around 2 weeks for immunity to build) with what I thought was a cold, a bad one, into the chest and literally dripping from the sinuses. I took a Covid test when it had been around for a day, reluctantly since my honey was leaving this very day for a much-deserved trip with a good friend and I didn't want to mess that up. It was negative, but I took another the following day and it was positive. Day 5 here and with the help of Paxlovid, Mucinex and beaucoup fluids and rest, I am feeling a bit better and Lee Ann's flying in a few minutes for Pensacola. I'm okay alone, though the house feels quiet and empty and will for the next 6 days and 5 nights. Not much fever and not any for 4 days now. I'll be in shape, if still a little inhibited and likely with a modified  for Americana Fest 2024, which starts Tuesday and for which I have an all shows pass. You'll find me at Eastside Bowl for much of the time, though my schedule is still in process of being decided. I know I'll be at Eastside Bowl Tuesday night for Neko Case and Madi Diaz with many other talents. What I love about the event is from my experience in 2019, where I took in shows from quite a few performers I already knew about, but also many GREAT ones I had not heard. It's a learning experience.

I'm painting a bunch, and that's my primary play today. Still taking open studio classes once a week with master Charles Brindley, though not making it as often as I should. Still painting nearly every day. Lee Ann bought me a really nice little beginner's watercolor set last week and I'll do some of that over the next week. See art stuff at https://scottmerrick.me.

Also next week, I'm attending my old pal Helen Compton's free webinar on AI and creativity. Join me there, too, if you can. I promise it will be a stellar experience and that even if you are already a practitioner you'll learn something. I'll refund your attendance fee if you don't. 😏Here:

I am giving a free webinar with great AI tools. Come and learn how you can create a full slide deck in under 60 seconds, create music and songs, and so much more. Sign up now: https://lnkd.in/enPRkmKW, and if you cannot make it live, you will get the recording to watch.

That's some of what I know. Maybe I'll know more next week, and I'll share it if I do!

Say well, stay healthy, and wear a mask in crowds. I will. And...


Time until Election Day. It will, if nothing else, be an historical day. It's the most important vote you will ever cast. Don't throw it away, unless it's a vote for fascism. 

No comments:

Aaaaaaaaand, May

 Hi y'all. May 6th here. Up in the morning and dedicated to getting something online for this month so here: Up at 6:30 a.m. after sleep...