Skip to main content

Some Family Ties

From Merrick Villa in Nashville, Tennessee on this third day of January, 2014 I send greetings, a promise to post at least once a week this year, and some family links.

First of all, in honor of Colin's birthday, number 18, a link to the work he's doing with songwriting, production, and performance. These are demos mostly created by him at his MacBook Pro and all written and performed by him, every voice, every harmony, all of it. Click to visit and LIKE his new Facebook brand for all his music, then visit the Dazeless SoundCloud:
Dazeless Facebook

Miranda is working at Brilliant Sky Books and Toys over in Green Hills and coordinating their online branding efforts (it's a VERY cool store) and burning up Instagram and Twitter. It's been a while since she blogged but her observations are consistently insightful and thoughtful at "Words for Faith." Check out her Pinterest site, "Truth & Wisdom," and her erstwhile boyfriend Tim Buell is out on the road with his band, Remedy Drive, who garnered a Dove Award nomination this year.

Lee Ann, love of my heart, is burning up the epicurean domain with TinWings, her artful, ambitious, and joyful venture with her partner Ursula Norris. Visit (and LIKE) their amazingly successful startup at their TinWings Facebook page.

Finally, the best kept educational secret of Nashville Public Schools is about to be let out of the bag. See why at the "About" page at MNPS Virtual School.

I rest my cases.

Wait, I guess given the title here I should share an old poem, still one of my favorites:

Family Ties



Most of my ties are dead man's ties.
Real doozies, all, hanging in my hall
closet, inherited sans will, from my father
and the father of my wife, given new life
by my own need, or by my need to own.
Did I need to rescue clich├ęd neckwear?
Or did I need instead a piece of cloth
to perform a job my memory ought?
Some come from vintage clothing stores:
Skinny, woven thinly, these create within
me something of a false nostalgia,
a longing for a time I never knew.
If I were you I'd be wondering now
what is his point? Does he intend to
share some kind of insight here? Is it fair
to assume that ties to the past indeed survive?
Of course knot, you say.
But maybe sew, says
I. Some say each time an entity, alive,
recalls the aspect of one dead, the dead one lives.
Spirit, called, responds in kind: a re-animation born of mind.
When I touch a tie it cries out to me,
and its former owner stirs, is realized.
If in that lifelessness re-creation be, then pardon me:
I only mean to tastefully accessorize.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Periscoping a Fall Walk across Nashville's Pedestrian Bridge

On my final day of Fall Break, which I spent mostly knocking out home-focused honey-do items (though I did get to Marrowbone Lake for one morning of fishing), I decided to take a walk over the John L. Seigenthaler Memorial Bridge. I had never done it before! My goal was to take a 360 panorama for my little side project, Nashville360VR, which has been suffering lately from my dedication to my new job at Warner Enhanced Elementary School. I did that, and on a whim I Periscoped it. Here's the video of that which I saved locally. Folks popped in and out--I don't think I had more than 20 or so concurrent viewers, but all in all I received 251 peeks over the 13 or so minutes or so of the 'cast. You won't see chat or comments (or hearts :), but you can view the video. Here:

Thanks to 'scopers for dropping in. And thanks to the powers-that-be for such a gorgeous Friday afternoon!

Here are a couple normal "pano" shots I took on my iPhone:



That is all. Oh...

If yo…

THE BEST ISTE EVER: Day 4 Reflections

I'll get a start on it. Day 4 was the bomb. Here's the "moneyshot" again  to prove it:

Tuesday morning I actually slept in until 7:30, had a good workout, and dressed smartly for my photo shoot at 11:20. I'd been asked by ISTE to be a poser and you know me, I couldn't resist. But that did mean I was in slacks and had to haul my blue blazer around all day. That's okay though, I look forward to recognizing myself in some upcoming issue of Learning and Leading with Technology. If you check out last month's issue you'll see Andy Wheelock's personable self gracing the inside front cover--like that. You should also catch Andy's article from the May L&LT: http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/201205?pg=5#pg28

I actually had a sit  down breakfast at the Hilton's Riverwalk restaurant, and the breakfast wrap was good but I never had a coffee refill and no one actually checked in with me at any time. I had to flag down a …

Nations Homes Video

...and, by way of overcompensation for my recent radio silence from scottmerrickdotnet, here's a little video composed of photos take from New Years Day 2016 up to June1. Enjoy: